Matt is a commercial litigator with experience representing corporations and financial institutions in complex multi-jurisdictional and multi-party High Court disputes. He previously worked in financial crime prevention and has rights of audience in the Higher Courts of England and Wales.
Matt trained and qualified at Signature. Since joining the firm in January 2013 he has been involved in some of the largest and highest profile cases in the London litigation market. In the past four consecutive years, cases Matt has acted on have featured in The Lawyer’s “Top 20 Cases of the Year”.
Matt has long undertaken pro bono work, including volunteering at the National Centre for Domestic Violence and law clinic Waterloo Legal Advice Service.
- Acting on a matter for Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation in relation to a civil claim brought by the Serious Fraud Office. This case has been recognised as one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases of 2017.
- Acting on a matter for Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation regarding a costs claim against alleged overcharging by Dechert LLP. In January 2017, the High Court ruled that the dispute would proceed to a full costs hearing for the fees accrued.
- Acting on claims brought by a large institutional and retail claimant group in complex group litigation against a large UK bank and its former directors in relation to allegations of breach of statutory obligations under s.90 FSMA with respect to alleged omissions and/or misleading statements in a prospectus. The areas of complaint include liquidity, capital, credit market exposures, risk management, VAR and LIBOR.
- Assisting on major worldwide litigation over the ownership of assets worth approximately $1.5 billion for an Eastern European Client.
- Assisting on a matter for an investment bank on a number of claims brought in the Commercial Court against an AIM listed entity in relation to fee arrangements and the construction of particular terms within M&A engagement agreements, including proceedings in the Court of Appeal.
- At a previous firm, assisting on the controversial Superstrike Ltd v Rodrigues  EWCA Civ 669, a decision which led to Parliament enacting the Deregulation Bill.