Ioannis “has great experience, clear thinking and iron logic”.
The Legal 500 UK 2017
A “highly rated litigator“.
The Legal 500 UK 2019
Ioannis is described as a “very strong lawyer”.
The Legal 500 2017
Ioannis is commended for his ability to “see right to the heart of sprawling banking disputes.“
Chambers Global 2018
Ioannis specialises in commercial litigation and international arbitration, including banking disputes, particularly those involving financial products, investment banking and derivatives, and also in commercial and business disputes with an emphasis on joint venture and shareholder disputes, shareholder protection, business break-ups and fraud.
His key industry sectors are financial services, energy/oil & gas, shipping/international trade, telecoms, IT and infrastructure projects. He often advises in circumstances where these sectors overlap. The key geographies for Ioannis’s practice are Greece, the Balkans, Russia, the Middle East, Brazil and sub-Saharan Africa. He also has considerable experience of regulatory and internal investigations.
His cases often involve an international element, usually with competing multiple jurisdictions and laws. His clients include banks, insurers, intermediaries, venture capitalists and equity investors and large corporates in England and internationally.
Ioannis is recognised in The Legal 500 UK 2019 as a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ for his international arbitration, banking litigation and commercial litigation expertise, and is noted as a “highly rated litigator”. Ioannis has also been ranked in Chambers Global as a ‘Foreign Expert Based in UK’ and a ‘Foreign Expert for Greece’ for his dispute resolution expertise and is commended for his ability to “see right to the heart of sprawling banking disputes.”
- Advising a natural gas exploration company on a dispute with its ENRON J. V. partner, in the High Court, Court of Appeal and ICC Arbitration.
- Acting for banks and customers in relation to trade finance and documentary credit disputes in connection with commodity trades, including oil, metals and soft commodities.
- Advising a US listed R.E.I.T. in connection with disputes about the financing of a J.V. concerning a major Spanish real estate development.
- Advising depositors on 2013’s Cyprus bank collapses and actions against the government in attempts to recover damages.
- Acted for the Greek partner in a JV with Magyar Telecom in relation to a dispute with Macedonian Telecom arising out of the privatisation of the Macedonian telecoms sector, where Ioannis had advised on the initial successful bid on privatisation as well.
- Acting for various companies belonging to a major advertising and media group in relation to joint venture disputes and other business litigation, as well as employee fraud.
- Advising several clients in connection with the break-up of partnerships or joint ventures or the aftermath of failed common business ventures.
Areas of Expertise
Thomas Rouhette and Ela Barda examine proposed reforms to the French blocking statute, the ‘Gauvain Report’, which seeks to strengthen sanctions for domestic companies subject to extra-territorial proceedings, in Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence bit.ly/2Hav4Ke
New reform proposal to relaunch the French blocking statute raises concerns – Thomas Rouhette and Ela Barda
May 09, 2019
May 09, 2019