Nick is an international arbitration and commercial litigation specialist, with experience in managing complex multi-party international disputes across a wide range of industry sectors, including natural resources, banking and financial services.
He regularly advises on shareholder actions, joint venture disputes, disputes arising out of complex financing arrangements, and fraud and asset tracing claims, with many of his cases concerning interests held in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (including Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Georgia) as well as interests held in off-shore jurisdiction such as the BVI and Cayman Islands.
Prior to joining Signature Litigation, Nick was an associate in the litigation teams at leading US law firms Jones Day and Sullivan & Cromwell. Nick qualified at Jones Day in March 2010.
Nick is a Solicitor Advocate and speaks English, Dutch and French.
- Representing a Kazakh party in a US$400 million LCIA arbitration with a Chinese joint venture partner regarding an aborted oil and gas exploration project in Western Kazakhstan.
- Representing a private equity firm in a US$40 million LCIA arbitration over the ownership of a Georgian bank.
- Advising middle-eastern investors on ICC arbitration claims valued at in excess of US$100 million against a prominent financial institution relating to mis-sold derivative products.
- Representing a global commodities merchant in relation to a US$75 million dispute over the financing of a mining project in Africa.
- Representing one of Canada’s largest pension funds in a US$1 billion shareholder dispute over their investment in a substantial European asset.
- Representing a group of high net worth individuals in LCIA arbitration claims relating to share options valued at in excess of US$40 million over a series of Russian automobile companies.
- Representing several Ukrainian nationals in connection with LCIA arbitration claims arising out of an aborted acquisition of a Ukrainian bank.
- Advising an individual financier in respect of ad hoc arbitration claims totalling approximately US$24 million against a Dutch company and related entities brought under the terms of a corporate guarantee.
- Representing a Serbian investor in LCIA proceedings relating to the financing of various investments in Serbian companies.
- Acting for two Russian parties in connection with substantial LCIA arbitration proceedings valued at over US$1 billion brought in relation to a hotel redevelopment project in Moscow.
- Acting for Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation in significant and high-profile proceedings against the Serious Fraud Office regarding the status of material which was said to be legally privileged.
- Acting for the family and estate of the late Badri Patarkatsishvili in claims concerning the ownership of interests of in various assets including a US$2 billion shareholding in Metalloinvest, a large substantial Russian metallurgy company.
- Acting for a US oil and gas company in connection substantial High Court claims valued at more than US$1 billion dispute relating to oil concession rights in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Advising a global electronics manufacturer in relation to claims in the Delaware Court relating to a US$200 million loan facility.
- Acting for the central bank of the Lao PDR in respect of claims for damages arising out of a wrongfully obtained freezing order.
- Acting for Russian based oil company in in a claim for the recovery of misappropriated funds totalling more than US$400 million.
- Acting for a Russian based oil company in its defence of a US$55 million claim relating to a substantial French property asset.