Russell is a Senior Associate with experience in advising clients in regulatory investigations, financial disputes and professional negligence, with a particular emphasis on disputes arising in the banking, derivatives and debt capital markets. He has been at Signature for five years and has just completed a secondment as In-House Counsel at the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission.
Russell is qualified to practice law in England & Wales, and Gibraltar.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor in 2006, Russell spent twenty years as an investment banker specialising in debt capital markets and, in particular, the structuring, trading and distribution of cash and synthetic investment grade and distressed credits, securitisations, bonds, loans and interest rate derivatives for a wide-range of ‘blue chip’ firms including Citicorp, Nomura, Merrill Lynch and Credit Suisse. For ten of those years Russell was a credit specialist and trader at Director level in both corporate Eurobonds and Derivatives in London, New York and Tokyo.
Russell trained in law with US bond and structured finance specialist Cadwalader LLP, followed by six years as a banking and structured finance markets lawyer with Berwin, Leighton, Paisner LLP (including in-house secondments with Bank of New York Mellon and Investec).
- Advising on GDPR, Crypo/DLT, and general matters of banking, pension and insurance supervision at the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission.
- Acting for the claimant, a former FTSE100 company, in a claim for recovery of costs against its former legal advisors and an investigation of wider claims in negligence; and satellite privilege litigation.
- Advising an ad hoc committee of five US hedge fund bondholders through a default and enforcement process in respect of the security for bonds issued by Thule Drilling ASA of Norway. The matter, now concluded, involved enforcement proceedings in Norway, Cyprus, Germany, Texas, BVI and the UAE. Involving issues of fraud, OFAC, FCPA and cross-border insolvency, the case included applications to the Norwegian Supreme Court and saw new trust case law made in Norway.
- Advising an FCA authorised person in relation to investigations by both US and UK regulatory and criminal authorities in respect of high-profile events in the European and US credit derivatives markets.
- Acting for JPMorgan in the sale of its entire trustee business to BNYMellon.
- Advising bondholders, trustees and other corporate services providers on securitisation issuance and disputes.