Ryan has a wide range of experience in dispute resolution, including domestic and international disputes acting for both government and private-sector clients.
Ryan is qualified in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia and is experienced in acting in commercial litigation and arbitration particularly concerning the mining and resources and mining sectors. His practice includes contractual disputes, public international law and professional negligence. Ryan holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons.) and a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Politics and International Relations.
Prior to joining Signature Litigation, Ryan trained at the international law firm DLA Piper in Sydney, qualifying in 2013 before joining DLA Piper’s Litigation & Arbitration team in London. Ryan has also worked at international law firm Herbert Smith Freehills in Sydney and in-house at a top 100 Australian stock-exchange listed company.
Ryan is an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a member of the LCIA’s Young International Arbitration Group and the ICC’s Young Arbitrators’ Forum.
- Acting in various arbitration-related proceedings before the Commercial Court including issues such as the appointment of tribunal members and the recognition and enforcement of arbritral awards.
- Acting for a US-owned finance company in Commercial Court proceedings concerning a professional negligence claim against an advisor.
- Acting for an international coal mining company in the Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings regarding the quality of coal supplied for steelmaking.
- Acting for a Kazakh entity in LCIA proceedings against a Chinese company concerning investments and oil exploration activities.
- Acting for a London reinsurer in a mediation and ad-hoc London-seated arbitration regarding the allocation of loss for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.
- Advising a Kazakh state-owned entity with regard to commencement of LCIA proceedings relating to the construction of an offshore oil drilling rig.
Investor-State Disputes & Public International Law
- Acting for the Government of Timor-Leste in International Court of Justice proceedings concerning the seizure of legally privileged materials by an Australian intelligence agency: (Questions relating to the Seizure and Detention of Certain Documents and Data (Timor-Leste v. Australia)).
- Advising the Government of Timor-Leste regarding maritime boundary delimitation in the oil and gas-rich seas shared with its neighbours; Australia and Indonesia.